Thursday, September 23, 2010

Eid in a Camp

Hisam Khan, Class 8th.
Today is the first day of Eid. I can hear children laughing and playing everywhere, the elders are hugging each other and wishing each other a Happy Eid, people are inviting each other for dinners and lunches. In this time of joy I am feeling very uneasy, it is not because I am sick or that I am not feeling well it is because of my visit to one of the camps which has been set up for the flood victims. One day before Eid I visited a flood relief camp in Charsadda. When I saw the condition those people were living in my heart filled up with sorrow. I saw a woman who had lost her son and husband in the flood and I could not bear the pain I saw in her eyes. The people living in the camps have lost their homes and the flood water took away their life savings in a matter of minutes. Most of the kids were suffering from various stomach problems and vomiting. The elders of all the families living in the camp were running all over in search of food.  These people had absolutely no concern about Eid or its celebrations, and why would they be concerned, they have no food to eat, no roof on their head and clothes to wear. The children at the camp had a look of fear and sadness on their faces instead of smiles and happiness. The government and NGO’s are trying to help these people but help is needed on such a large scale that it has made this effort a very tough job. The only way we can overcome this calamity is if all the people of Pakistan join hands to help all those affected by the floods. Please help these people to get back on their feet.  

No comments: